Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What is it about a new lipstick on a bad day? I have spent many hours on the Walgreen's and Target aisles just seeking out that "perfect" one to compliment an imperfect day. I admit, my makeup is usually applied AFTER I have decided which shade of lip rouge I am wearing and the outfit cannot clash the lips, and yes, I feel the same way about shoes :).

It makes me wonder why I feel this way though. I mean, it's basically painting the exterior right? For some girls it's lipstick, for others it can be anything:
  • Blush
  • Earrings
  • Necklaces
  • Rings
  • Manicures
  • Pedicures
  • Highlights
  • Lowlights
  • Curls
  • Straightener
  • Eyeliner
  • Mascara
This list could go on and on. My mom loved costume jewlery. It always struck me as odd. You see, she never liked to paint her nails because she didn't want people to notice her hands, she never wore bright lipstick because she felt it accentuated flaws, and in 17 years I never saw her change her makeup staples! However, the bigger the jewelery the better! We all prefer a different form of spackle right?

When I am feeling exhausted, a bright red lip can take the focus off my puffy eyes. Bad hair days seem to disapear in the wake of 6 inch stillettos. A bad mood will get it's marching orders at the blink of long, mascarad eyelashes. It seems these things can lift my mood...for a moment at least.

What happens at the end of trying days when the makeup is washed off and the shoes flung back into the closet? Where then do we find rest for our weary bones when our smile begins to fade off the landscape of our painted faces?

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."

This comes to us Matthew 11:28. How often do you crash into bed, weary to the bone from the weight you bear? We are not meant to bear these burdens alone. In fact, our Father desires that we lay our burdens down at His feet and take up His yoke, which is light.

Jesus has paid the cost that we may not have to carry burdens such as these. Are you a perfectionist who feels like you must "do it all" only to feel overwhelmed and under-appreciated by the days end? Give that to God. Are you a business owner, feeling crushed by the weightiness of the economy? Take it to God. Are you a full time mom seeking a moments peace and feeling less than stellar because you need a break? Take that to God. Are you a young girl just trying to figure out who you are and what your place in this world is? Take it to God.

Our Father awaits but one thing from us: that we may be willing to give up what we never possessed in the first place so the He may offer us perfect rest.

Are you in need of rest today?

In Christ's love,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment