Thursday, February 21, 2013

It Should Stay This Simple....


Welcome to my family!

I know I tend to stay all-business here, BUT I am going to take this time to brag a bit....and bring home an important point. Above is my sweet daughter Debbie (named after my sweet mother) at about 7 years old. Yesterday, she flat out honest to goodness found her life's purpose.


What a difference a few years can make....

Here's the basics: yesterday I was blogging and she quipped "Mom, I think I want a blog." This was amazing in and of itself as she has witnessed first hand the I-DON'T-KNOW-WHAT-TO-WRITE-ABOUT freak out :). At any rate, I told her that was lovely and I'd talk to her dad. As the day wore on, she kept talking about her blog. She said it would be perfect for young girls around 3rd grade and up as she wanted to teach them from her mistakes. She wants to teach them that it is OK to stand up for yourself when being bullied instead of just going to the bathroom to cry. Mind you, I knew she was being bullied in school, but the crying in the bathroom was news to me. She may look like her Daddy, but she is her mothers life all over!

Her mission was clear: to help all girls come to know that they are made special in the eyes of God. She wants people to accept themselves for how they are made, honor their lives and bodies, and hopefully find their purpose as well. She has it figured out.

The most moving thing (OK, honestly the MOST moving was that she obviously wants to be like me.....well, sort of) was that she felt a tug at her heart and dove right in. How many times do we old farts (yeah, I SAID IT!) over think what God is calling us to do? How many times have I felt impassioned only to start putting my own thoughts all in the way. Nine out of ten times Satan doesn't even have to try to stop me because I stop myself frankly. Old people do that.....stop too much :)

What holds us back? Unbelief. Fear of failing. Fear of succeeding. Fear of too much on our plate. Fear that we cannot do it all. Fear. Period.

It's time to realize that fear has no place in life. There really is very little we can control anyways, so fear about a lack of control is justr plain bonkers. God states in His Word that if we have faith, no mountain formed against us will stand! How many times have I looked at an anthill and gotten all worked up? Far too many. And you know what? WE can't do it all, but God is not looking for those who can. He seeks those who are willing to answer the call.

 


This kid inspires me. She makes me want to be better. She makes me want to believe that I can be better, that I'm not burnt out and that I am nowhere through trying. I always thought I had to struggle my way through, just trying to change the world. My focus changed a little over a year ago. I began to focus on what God had given me and pour my heart into growing children who could pick out the voice of God in their life. How did I do this? I am transparent with them and deeply honest. I tell them my struggles and ask for prayer. Before committing to travel to Chisinau, Moldova, my 13 year old son prayed over me. THIS is the generation that CAN change the course of a nation (or 2 or 3) if my generation will learn to look beyond our own noses.

Yes, I am delighted in both of my kids. And I am blessed to have a Godly, supportive man by my side (he's pretty cute too!). This is my life. This is my calling. I will not put God on hold for me to weigh my options anymore. This is the time to stand. Free of fear, free indeed.


By the way, I've totally come to grips with the fact that my daughters blog will be more popular than both of mine :) I only ask she gives me a shout out every once in a while!

Show some love!
Michelle



No comments:

Post a Comment