Tuesday, March 5, 2013

What Can ONE Do?

I have to admit some massive flaws today. OK, I have a lot, but I'll try to stick to a few...

I have a serious problem asking for help of any kind. Why? Well, there's plenty of reasons and I could probably list several psychological and social issues, but I'll try a more general approach:

  1. I honestly don't think people will help. That's terrible right? It's like I just kill the dream right off the bat! My faith in God is what I work on daily, my faith in people has been smashed so many times I have simply allowed it to become altered. The thing I must remind myself is that there is not a single one of us that is perfect, yet God created each heart. So, my lack of faith in people can actually point to a lack of faith period. It's eye opening when you think of it that way.
  2. I've always tried to be the "fixer". From a young age I just wanted everybody around me to be happy. Yeah, what happened to that right?!? Now, I find myself more confrontational.....growth :). Anyways, I would go above and beyond to "fix" things that I had not even caused. Then when my mom died, I decided to put my big girl panties on a grow up, way up. I figured I had to take care of everybody and everything and I ended up burnt out at a young age.
  3. I don't like having to convince people to help. This is where it gets all wonky. There are times when I feel like I have to sell people on helping. A lot of times people want to know what's in it for them. Now, this is basic marketing. Since I've run my own businesses for several years, everything tends to fall back into the marketing mindset. The thing is...God doesn't do marketing.
So, there we have the 3 big ones that I allow to hold both myself and that part of God's will that He has m,e involved in back. Don't get me wrong, God doesn't NEED me to do anything for Him. He CHOSE me to help. There is a big difference...

Here I am now, acting upon the call to be obedient and asking for help. What I am working through is pretty big: I have partnered with Children's Hope Chest to raise the funds to build a fitness and wellness center in Chisinau, Moldova. This center will belong to Beginning of Life Ministries.

Here is the synopsis of what we are trying to accomplish together:


We are all willing to fight for something. We fight for freedom, for our right to believe and even for our favorite team. This year, Michelle has teamed up with Beginning of Life and Children's Hope Chest to build a wellness center for the community of Chisinau, Moldova. BOL runs a holistic program for the girls and women who have suffered sexual abuse or domestic violence. BOL staff provides psychological, social, spiritual and physical support for the girls, but they realize the physical development is the area in which they need more improvement. How will a center like this help to dramatically change a culture?

1.       Prevention: Within the first 2 years the center is open, hundreds of girls will be trained in self defense. This will, for the first time, enable them to defend themselves from the abusers.

2.       Rehabilitation: Sports and fitness provide a very positive impact on people's lives. Many of the girls suffer from heart problems, and the fitness center will offer a unique opportunity for recreation.

3.       Social Skills Development: This fitness center will serve as a safe place for the youth to spend time together, grow relationships and chat about future endeavors. It will be a place where they can dream and discuss making their dreams a reality.

4.       Reintegration: The wellness and fitness center will provide a brand new set of skills and jobs for the girls who have graduated the rehabilitation program. This will help to provide them with stability and a larger sense of self worth.

5.       Encouragement for staff: The staff of Beginning of Life works tirelessly to provide encouragement and safety to these girls along with education and awareness to an entire community. The fitness and wellness center will be a place for the staff to take care of themselves, just as we are instructed. It will provide stress relief, healthier and more energetic staff, team building and an opportunity to strengthen their shoulders for the load they choose to carry daily.

Just what will happen? Michelle plans to spend 3 months training the staff of BOL as well as the graduates of the rehabilitation center to teach and train in a variety of recreational activities. They will be able to offer yoga classes, hip hop dance, strength and conditioning, boxing for fitness and kickboxing. BOL staff will also be trained in self defense so they can implement this vital skill into their curriculum. This will open up not only jobs for graduates, but a new means of revenue for the expenses of running an organization such as Beginning of Life (5013C). Michelle Carlson is a nationally certified master trainer with over 15 licenses under her name. She holds specialties in corrective exercise, sports science and nutrition, MMA conditioning, yoga, movement therapies and self defense.
 
There we have it, the reason that help is needed. A lot of times we see a large need and think, "What can one person do?" In my opinion there are 2 types of people in the world: FIRESTARTERS and FIRE EXTINGUISHERS. It is my goal, and a pray yours as well, to be a firestarter for lasting change. It takes a small spark, a small gift, a small change on our part to create a lasting change in the world. So, how can you be an effective FIRESTARTER?
  • Pray for the people of Chisinau and all those involved in this project.
  • Spread the word! Share the site, share the story, encourage others to learn about what really is going on.
  • Give a gift. Hopechest has an easy-access donation page set up for this project. You can choose your donation and it's 100% tax deductible! It's a win/win for all. You will have played a HUGE part in the transformation of an entire nation,
  • Consider visiting :) I hope to have a team visit while I am staying in Chisinau. This team will be able to see what Beginning of Life does on a daily basis and be able to touch the lives of many. You'll immerse yourself in the culture and even get to enjoy some seriously awesome food. Get your hands dirty for change and I promise YOU will be the one reaping the most benefit.
Will you prayerfully consider your part today? The world is much bigger than the snug fitting bubble we fight so hard to keep ourselves in. Let it open up and prop yourself into the freedom outside. Enjoy the ride, life is about to get exciting :)
Prayers and peace,
Michelle
 
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment